Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Windows Vista » Vista Help Forum

Old 06-19-2013
neophyte

Steatopiggy is on a distinguished road
Default Startup Repair Has Been Running for Ages

Hi,

I have an old laptop running windows vista that I haven't used for at least 18 months. When I ran it a few days ago I installed all 101 updates available through the update centre that were available since I last logged in, and all was well until I tried to restart the machine afterwards. It failed to start up so I decided to run startup repair. This has now been running for over 24 hours and still has no sign of completing. The laptop would not start in any safe mode or normal mode before the repair was started. Is my laptop fixable and if so how? Should I intervene or will it just take time?

Any help with this is really appreciated.
Thanks
Tom
Old 06-19-2013
Administrator

admin has disabled reputation

ouch. that's tough. Just as tough to diagnose while not being there. Doing the updates incrementally is a better idea. You may want to do a system restore if you cannot startup and then try to update only a dozen or so at a time. While in theory installing all 101 updates should work...

Old 06-19-2013
neophyte

Steatopiggy is on a distinguished road
Default Edit

I cancelled the startup repair by switching the power off and tried again, in order to find the appropriate error message. It says:

\Windows\System32\Drivers\ksecdd.sys has status

0xc000000f

Windows failed to load because a critical system driver is missing, or corrupt.

I have the original vista disk for my OS but none of the safe boot options or normal boot options work. Also the repair process runs for hours and seems to get nowhere.

Hopefully this is a little clearer. Sorry for being vague before.