Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Windows Vista » Vista Help Forum

Old 05-07-2009
neophyte

xPaulx is on a distinguished road
Default Vista/Nvidia Resolution Problem - Can't change resolution!!!!!!

Hello everyone,

I am in desperate need for anyone's help - PLEASE!!!!!

I have been a Windows XP user for as long as i can remember. I recently installed Windows Vista (Ultimate and Starter at different times), and after i installed it i noticed that all my drivers except my network card was installed. When i went to device manager i noticed that vista had installed Standard VGA graphics for my Nvidia 9500GT 1GB. So then i downloaded the latest Nvidia drivers for my card and intalled it. After my computer restarted i again went to Device manager and it clearly said that the Nvidia GeForce 9500GT card was installed - and it had no problems. Now here comes the problem that i cant find a solution for! I tried to change my resolution Via Personalize but it stays on 800x600, i cant move the bar to higher it or anything, so i went to the nvidia Control Panel and it also stays 800x600 and I CANT CHANGE IT. I know how to install drivers, this happens after i installed it

I have tried the latest drivers 1.8.xx....and even previous ones none of them work. I have been through so many forums and i have not found the Solution. This is really annoying cause i cant seem to find the root of the problem.

For the Record my specs are:
Vista Ultimate
Core 2 Duo 2.8ghz
Nvidia 9500GT 1GB
4 gig ram @ 800mhz
17 inch LCD
Intel G31 M7-TE motherboard
750 GB HDD Sata 2

Please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-08-2009
Agent - Level 3

cyclic is on a distinguished road

First question, did you install the boards chipset drivers first, last or not at all ? secondly did you uninstall the old graphics drivers ? Have you used a DVI to VGA adapter or a digital cable to monitor (using digital can severly limit the res. you can use, normally to lowest , one in the middle and the native res, but not any other.
third, did you read the install instructions and therefore disable you virus scanner during the driver install ?
Have you tried the driver released by the cards builder,? they are optimized for their design and are usually better than Nvidia's generic drivers.
Your monitor is enumerated by the graphics driver, did you go to device manager and remove the monitor, then reboot to allow the correct proceedure to be followed.

This is how to install graphics drivers, if you have followed these proceedures, which forgive me I doubt, depending on the if the PC is a self build or retail, the spec of the machine may require other considerations, I will look into it and post back if I find any known issues.

Last edited by cyclic; 05-08-2009 at 09:50 AM.
Old 05-08-2009
neophyte

Hello cyclic, thanks for replying. I will just answer all the questions you gave me

Yes i did install the chipset driver from the CD and website (tried both) - it was the first thing i did. It didn't solve the problem

Vista installed its own drivers for my card but then i uninstalled it using device manager and 3rd party software. Then i installed the nvidia drivers (just to let you know that when Vista installed its own Standard VGA (forgive me) CRAP - i could change the resolution but its not the right Driver for the card (even places like system requirements lab then recognises my card as a Standard - but it is a Nvidia because it worked in XP.

I am not using a DVI to VGA adapter, i am just using a standard VGA cable and i plug it in directly to the VGA slot (blue slot) - does this mean i have a digital cable, but the thing is i can't change my resolution at all, not lower or higher - not even my native res 1280x1024 - it is completely stuck - i can't move the bar to higher my res. it just stays stuck at 800x600 (there isn't even middle positions).

I have read the instructions that is partly why i am here - and i just installed Vista (first use) i have no virus scanner installed i am just dealing with drivers now. If there is a setting that cause this problem within vista please tell me which one.

I have tried the driver released with the card (CD) - that didn't work so then i went to the Website and tried over 5 versions including the latest, the same problem occurred.

I did delete the monitor and reboot several times still nothing.

So i have followed these procedures. So do you think it lies in the cable? I even tried a CRT monitor - the same thing happened. My PC is custom built and i have never had driver problems with XP. I went as far as to buy Vista Ultimate cause i bought Basic first.

I thank you for your time, please help!!!!!!
Old 05-08-2009
Agent - Level 3

cyclic is on a distinguished road

You don't have a digital cable, you went analogue to analogue so that's fine. I note with interest that the Vista native driver allowed you to change res. and yes it's a crap driver, however once you install the correct up to date driver for it, the only thing you should have is considerable improvement.

So, what make is the card and have you any chance of trying it another machine ?
Peeps are apparently having just your problems or worse (driver wont install) with Sparkle cards and suprisingly XfX cards.

It's looking more and more like you have a card that was DOA !
Old 05-08-2009
neophyte

Hey,

The make: MSI (Nvidia) GeForce 9500GT 1GB, i have tried it on my other computer, its not that good but i also put Vista on that and it did the same (same problem). But my card does not have a problem because when i boot up using
XP the card works 100% with the drivers installed.

So do you know other people who have this problem? Because i have been to other forums and there was no solution.

You are obviously very skilled with computers, so i ask you please to find a solution this is really annoying!!!!!
Thanks

What does DOA mean?
Old 05-30-2009
neophyte

todicamer is on a distinguished road

I have the exact same problem, I'm using Windows 7.
My specs:
Motherboard ASUS M2N-MX
Video: Nvidia 9800 gt 512mb
CPU: Athlon 64 x2 5600+
HD: 1TB Raid, 7200 rpm SATA 2